From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] PubMed abstract: Y haplogroup R1a1 in India
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:01:45 -0600

This was published more than a year ago.

I don't have access to the full article, but my recollection is that the
authors (laughably) avoided any comparison between India's R1a1 and Eastern
European R1a1, perhaps because they knew the similarity was too obvious to
deny. Anyone who performs YHRD searches on Eastern European R1a1 haplotypes
is familiar with the pattern of matches in both Eastern Europe and South
Asia. Nepal comes up particularly often.

> From: [mailto:genealogy-dna-
> ] On Behalf Of
> J Hum Genet. 2009 Jan;54(1):47-55. Epub 2009 Jan 9.
>
> The Indian origin of paternal haplogroup R1a1* substantiates the
> autochthonous origin of Brahmins and the caste system.

> Y-haplogroup R1a* in ancestors and extended phylogenetic analyses of the
pooled
> dataset of 530 Indians, 224 Pakistanis and 276 Central Asians and
Eurasians
> bearing the R1a1* haplogroup supported the autochthonous origin of R1a1
lineage
> in India and a tribal link to Indian Brahmins.

This thread: