From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FF raw data access
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:34:22 -0800

Dear All,
Another point that we should keep in mind is that at least some of
the "non-medical" SNPs that are reported will at some point in the future be
linked to specific medical conditions. There are currently in the range of
150-200 autosomal SNPs that 23andMe reports as being linked to various
traits or medical conditions. Those of us who tested with 23andMe a year or
more ago remember that when we first got our results back there were
probably only 50 or so SNPs that 23andMe reported as being linked to various
traits or medical conditions. Genome-wide association studies are still in
their infancy. Many more autosomal SNPs will at some point in time be
linked to various traits or medical conditions as medical research moves
forward in this area. If FTDNA is going to scrub all of the medically
related SNPs from the test results this means they will need to continue to
monitor the literature in order to determine which additional SNPs they need
to scrub from the results above and beyond the current ones they plan to
scrub.
Sincerely,
Tim Janzen