From: Robert Tarín <>
Subject: [DNA] Tutankhamun and Akhenaten autosomal results discrepancy
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 05:46:00 -0600

List,

For those who might have noticed this, there is a discrepancy that I want to
point out in the autosomal results for Tutankhamun and his father, Akhenaten
(KV55) between the Discovery Channel video and those listed in Figure 1 of
the published study "Ancestry and Pathology in King Tutankhamun's Family".
The Discovery Channel video can be seen at this link:
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/king-tut-unwrapped-father-and-son-reunited.html

In the video, marker D7S820 for Akhenaten (KV55) is shown as 16,15 while in
the published study it is shown as 15,15. Additionally, on marker FGA for
Tutankhamun, the video shows (null or blank), 23 while the published study
has 23,23. I believe the published study has the correct values in Table 1
and they were possibly arrived at by interpolation of the data from values
of the other related individuals. Either that or multiple runs of the
samples provided the correct values and those were not shown in the video.

Listed below are the results as shown in the video and those from the
published study.

Discovery Channel video (results start at 1:59 into video)
Tut KV55 Marker
10,12 10,12 D13S317
10,15 16,15 D7S820 - discrepancy
16,26 16,26 D2S1338
29,34 29,34 D21S11
8,13 11,13 D16S539
19,19 16,19 D18S51
6,12 9,12 CSF1PO
(-),23 20,23 FGA - discrepancy

JAMA Published Study
Tut KV55 Marker
10,12 10,12 D13S317
10,15 15,15 D7S820 - discrepancy
16,26 16,26 D2S1338
29,34 29,34 D21S11
8,13 11,13 D16S539
19,19 16,19 D18S51
6,12 9,12 CSF1PO
23,23 20,23 FGA - discrepancy
It would be interesting to run these values for Tutankhamun and Akhenaten to
see what populations they may match.

Robert Tarín

This thread: