From: vernade didier <>
Subject: [DNA] DYS463 and DYS452
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 23:17:44 +0000 (GMT)

List,
As others I am familiar with the markers from familytreedna standard orders and much less familiar with makers like DYS463 and DYS452 . There is a problem in ysearch with these 2 markers ; both are displaying "bimodal" values because a conversion is needed. Before posting this message I checked a few haplogroups for these 2 markers and from that quick survey it's a pity that no more data are available for these markers and the the conversion problem is making the few available ones unusable.

DYS463 (still) requires to subtract 2 when testing with FTDNA (!). No surprise : values in R1b1b2 are "oscillating" between 22 and 24 , whether the "2" were substracted or not ; same in R1a1a . One could think it's easy to correct but the situation isn't that simple (as you could guess). For example among the 50 entries for Q1a3 haplogroup I can count : 25(2) , 24(2) , 23(3) and 22(1). I suspect that the 2 "25" should be 23 and the 2 "24" may be 2 21 and this would mean thatbthe group splits in 2 groups for this rather low mutating markers.

I wanted to discuss also DYS452 but this post is already long enough and I think my point is clear : I wish some cleaning of ysearch is done as soon as possible .

Didier

PS :

I also wish that these interesting markers not in standard orders (at FTDNA) would become incorporated. Extensive testing on many groups has now teached us that some markers are not as useful as expected (CDY ...). Historically DYS463 and DYS452 were tested by other companies than FTDNA but the times are changing and I hope a revised set of standard markers can focus on those markers really helpful.

Hope this time my post can appear today and not the next day...

This thread: