From: steven perkins <>
Subject: [DNA] Article: Evidence that a West-East admixed population livedin the Tarim Basin as early as the early Bronze Age
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:36:35 -0500

Full Text::
http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1741-7007-8-15.pdf
Abstract:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7007/8/15

Research article

Evidence that a West-East admixed population lived in the Tarim Basin
as early as the early Bronze Age

Chunxiang Li email, Hongjie Li email, Yinqiu Cui email, Chengzhi Xie
email, Dawei Cai email, Wenying Li email, Mair H Victor email, Zhi Xu
email, Quanchao Zhang email, Idelisi Abuduresule email, Li Jin email,
Hong Zhu email and Hui Zhou email

BMC Biology 2010, 8:15doi:10.1186/1741-7007-8-15
Published: 17 February 2010
Abstract (provisional)

Background

The Tarim Basin, located on the ancient Silk Road, played a very
important role in the history of human migration and cultural
communications between the West and the East. However, both the exact
period at which the relevant events occurred and the origins of the
people in the area remain very obscure. In this paper, we present data
from the analyses of both Y chromosomal and mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA)
derived from human remains excavated from the Xiaohe cemetery, the
oldest archeological site with human remains discovered in the Tarim
Basin thus far.
Results

Mitochondrial DNA analysis showed that the Xiaohe people carried both
the East Eurasian haplogroup (C) and the West Eurasian haplogroups (H
and K), whereas Y chromosomal DNA analysis revealed only the West
Eurasian haplogroup R1a1a in the male individuals.
Conclusion

Our results demonstrated that the Xiaohe people were an admixture from
populations originating from both the West and the East, implying that
the Tarim Basin had been occupied by an admixed population since the
early Bronze Age. To our knowledge, this is the earliest genetic
evidence of an admixed population settled in the Tarim Basin.

The complete article is available as a provisional PDF. The fully
formatted PDF and HTML versions are in production.

--
Steven C. Perkins
http://stevencperkins.com/

This thread: