From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Y chromosome SNP occurring in More than one PaternalLineages
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:17:19 -0500

The last time I analyzed the 23andMe YSNP data, I had 560 entries and
1791 YSNPs in a fully resolved tree.

1006 of the SNPs were not polymorphic at all in this sample. Of the
785 that were polymorphic, 26 had 2 or more state changes (i.e.
parallel and/or back mutation). That is 3.3% Most of those 26 had
just two state changes, but there were 7 with 3 or more changes. L69
was the worst, with 11 state changes.

However I defend my original position: how often a SNP is prone to
changing state matters a lot more than why it is prone to changing
state. An X crossover event that happens on average every billion
meiosis events is not nearly as troubling as one that happens every
hundred events.

Vince

On Feb 21, 2010, at 9:31 PM, Bonnie Schrack wrote:

> I'm not sure what the story will be with L69, which was found to
> have a
> back-mutation to T in two members of J2a4*. I hope we'll learn
> eventually whether this is a consistent mutation in other members of
> their clusters. It will help if more of them will order it.

This thread: