From: "Irish III DNA" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS463 and DYS452
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:01:57 +1100

Diana wrote:-
<snip>
FTDNA, like virtually all labs testing for genealogical purposes, reports DYS452
high. The Ysearch convention is for DYS452 to be high,
<snip>
The problem in Ysearch is the values that are low, regardless of how they
became low.
As Thomas said in his email of 6 April 2007
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/genealogy-dna/2007-04/1175896408
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2007-03/1172991586

regarding DYS463 (but applies to DYS452 as well)

"Ysearch uses the short counting method, because this database contained
mainly allele reports from DNAH and Relative Genetics because Family
Tree DNA didn't test DYS463 those days.
So we decided to keep this nomenclature for Ysearch and we will make a
complete upgrade of the whole database by +2 units one day."

So the convention for Ysearch is LOW not HIGH and will remain so until FTDNA/Ysearch change it. And lets hope it is soon.
I agree the counting method should now be high and the low records are causing a problem, but we need FTDNA/Ysearch to fix rather
than go off on our own making changes.

Dennis

This thread: