From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] : low variance MRCA dates for P310 clades in ItalyandSEEurope
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:46:30 -0500

I was not trying to make a case for U106 having originated in Italy
(indeed, I doubt it did), but rather trying to support my view that
R1b1b2 does not seem to have arrived in Italy "much later" than
northern Europe. A sample of six is problematic in SO many ways, but
the point is that Alan's point ("A block of relatively young MRCA ht15
in Italy and SE Europe/SW Asia . . . .") is at least unsupported and
possibly contradicted by the evidence.

On the other hand, I do tend to think that modern events (e.g. Romans,
Gauls, Lombards, etc.) are often oversold as explainers of Y-
haplogroup distributions. Some U106 in Italy could be the result of
Norman presence, I suppose, but surely not all of it could be
attributed in such a manner.

VV

On Feb 23, 2010, at 12:54 PM, Michael Maddi wrote:

> This is exactly the point I would make in answer to Vince's reply to
> Alan just before Ken posted.

This thread: