From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] See current issue of Current Biology: Global
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:12:36 -0500

I have a couple issues with the article on Europe.

As far as R1b goes (and that is the most common Y haplogroup in
Europe), the authors have not cited any paper published after 2004. I
can accept them omitting the recent Balaresque paper, but what about
the preceding Arredi paper from 2007. That is just weird.

The authors of this review were some of the first to publish on this
topic, and much of that early work has been attacked by more recent
work. So maybe it isn't a shock that the new review either ignores or
dismisses the more recent papers.

For example, the review quietly posits a post LGM entry of R1b into
Europe using the original Semino et al. paper as the source. That's
pretty bold revisionism, if you ask me. They still hold the Baque as
a mesolithic isolate when I don't think ANY recent paper makes that
case. And what about the handful of full genome scan papers published
in the last few years? Also absent, as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure the field is ready for a synthesis, given the state of
flux. But if we are to have one, I would hope for a more balanced one
than this.

Cup 1/5 full, in my opinion.

VV

On Feb 23, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Lancaster-Boon wrote:

> Review articles in this field are relatively rare and this one is not
> terribly out of date. I am going with the "cup half full" version.

This thread: