From: "Roberta Estes" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Family Finder Info
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:51:02 -0500

Well, the biggest difference will be in the comparative data base. My
experience at 23andMe other than with our group of avid genealogists, is
that the rest of the people who tested specifically for health traits don't
answer or if they do, they're generally not knowledgeable or interested in
their genealogy. I've become very discouraged attempting to contact matches
there. At FTDNA, the people who test are genealogists, or recruited by
genealogists, and they are interested in the same thing we are. As time
passes, the percentage of folks there who take the Family Finder test will
build and I suspect the results will be much more rewarding in terms of
replies from participants. At least I hope so.

I tested at 23andMe and at decodeme and I'm also testing at FTDNA. I want
my results in their data base with all of the markers that others are
testing with at FTDNA, not a subset from elsewhere, if they do allow 3rd
party uploads. If I can also upload my other data from the other companies,
great, but it won't be the same as taking FTDNA's test. I wish they had
come out with this test earlier as I wouldn't have spent so much money
elsewhere doing selective testing to solve specific questions.

Roberta Estes