From: Connie <>
Subject: [DNA] Family Finder question
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:01:58 -0800 (PST)

I administer
several DNA projects at FTDNA, but haven't participated in the 23andMe
testing.

I have worked on my own genealogy for over 30 years and
have most of my lines back into the 1700s or the 1600s for some as their arrival in America was documented.

I got into DNA testing because I
wanted to get further back than that or to either prove or disprove
connections between individuals within one surname going back into
colonial times.  Jumping the Atlantic into Britain has been achieved
in some lines, but not all, and that is what I need more than anything.

If I am understanding the 23andMe and the new Family Finder
testing, it works best at finding 3rd - 5th cousins.  I located
cousins at that level and exchanged Gedcoms for years and have little
desire to do that again.  Other researchers in my projects also feel
that way as we are all trying to push back beyond 1700.

So my
questions is - am I understanding the limitations of Family Finder
correctly - will it be ineffective at finding relationships in the time
period that I need?

As an admin should I encourage those
testees with limited knowledge to order this test, and those of us that are
past the close cousin collecting phase can pass?

Connie McKenzie

This thread: