From: Randy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Family Finder Info
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 04:29:52 -0500

> From: "john" <>
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Family Finder Info
>
> I too got the email however am wondering if it is worth it, as I have
> already
> purchased and paid for 12 out of 15 kits at 23andMe. Obviously I cannot
> keep this up with each and every company that jumps into the game. Anyone
> know if FTDNA will do like DecodeMe did and offer a merge of projects????
> Also is their family finder going to be equal to or better than 23andMe???
> Appreciate your feedback
> John

Last year, I paid for 3 kits for family at 23andme and am very
disappointed in non-responses for "cousin" contacts.

Being female, I feel like I'm in a tiny box...my brother doesn't speak
to me, one male cousin "S" is not interested in going past his 12
markers, and the other male cousin "R" keeps putting off my offer to pay
for his 67 markers at FTDNA. What makes matters worse is that 23andme
predicted the second cousin "R" to be r1b1b2a1a2f. My research only goes
back to colonial North Carolina. I have not been able to jump the pond
to Ireland. AARGGHH

I too received an offer from FTDNA for the early test, but my hours at
work have been cut and money is VERY tight.

I have been reading this list for months. Most is over my head, but I
keep reading hoping to learn. In layman's terms, what will this new test
at FTDNA give that I don't already have from 23andme? Do I pay for a
beta test for myself at FTDNA or pay for a yDNA for my male cousin?

Randy O'GUIN

This thread: