From: William Hurst <>
Subject: [DNA] FGS results at FTDNA and on GenBank
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:30:28 -0500

Hi Ian and all,

Do you know the count of mtDNA FGS results on GenBank? I note that this morning there are 8,096 at FTDNA, which I suspect is now more than GenBank has. At of today, there are 575 FTDNA FGS results on GenBank, all submitted by customers, these days almost all with the assistance of Ian. I also note that there have been very few sequences from scientific papers recently. Do I remember that Ann Turner once reported that the snobbish MitoMap people wouldn't use the FTDNA customer sequences in updating their tree. Of course, they haven't updated it at all. Probably got their funding cut, as apparently did the increasingly less useful mtDB database. Fortunately, my outside funding hasn't been cut - not having any! Well, Social Security.

Oh wait, I could be wrong about all this. After all, the Heteroplasmy article on Wikipedia says "...the number of individuals who have been subjected to mtDNA testing for reasons other than the diagnosis of mitochondrial disorders is small." I guess they don't know about the 107,131 total mtDNA records at FTDNA.

Need coffee now.

Bill Hurst

This thread: