From: "Ian Logan" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FGS results at FTDNA and on GenBank
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:26:27 -0000

Bill / List

This page:
http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/checker/updateinfo.htm
shows the running total of mtDNA FGS results on GenBank
- which is 6,714 today (should actually be just a little lower).

And, this page:
http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/checker/accession.htm
gives a list of the sequences: but isn't quite so accurate.

All the sequences themselves are on my 'Checker' program
which is in two parts.
http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/checker/checker1.htm
http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/checker/checker2.htm

- which allows the user the option of checking that the sequence
has not been changed since the database was constructed.

And, the source code for these pages can be searched with
a wordprocessor (my preference is WORDPAD),
to find sequences with specific mutations, or haplogroup labels.

Ian

Hi Ian and all,

Do you know the count of mtDNA FGS results on GenBank? I note that this morning there are 8,096 at
FTDNA, which I suspect is now more than GenBank has. At of today, there are 575 FTDNA FGS results on
GenBank, all submitted by customers, these days almost all with the assistance of Ian. I also note
that there have been very few sequences from scientific papers recently. Do I remember that Ann
Turner once reported that the snobbish MitoMap people wouldn't use the FTDNA customer sequences in
updating their tree. Of course, they haven't updated it at all. Probably got their funding cut, as
apparently did the increasingly less useful mtDB database. Fortunately, my outside funding hasn't
been cut - not having any! Well, Social Security.

Oh wait, I could be wrong about all this. After all, the Heteroplasmy article on Wikipedia says
"...the number of individuals who have been subjected to mtDNA testing for reasons other than the
diagnosis of mitochondrial disorders is small." I guess they don't know about the 107,131 total
mtDNA records at FTDNA.

Need coffee now.

Bill Hurst

This thread: