From: William Hurst <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA X1 in Eastern Europe
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:02:55 -0500

Grandcross wrote:

> ....... If you have one particular combination of three recurrent HVR1
> mutations, I can reliably say that your ancestors were from Iberia.
> >
> > So, please don't ignore HVR mutations. Study them instead.
> >
> > Bill Hurst
>
> Now that's intriguing. Can you be more specific about the combination of
> mutations you have in mind Bill?

So far, at least, everybody in the K Project with 16182C, 16183C and 16189C who lists a maternal ancestry, lists either Mexico, Spain, SW USA, or Portugal. I say Iberia because the DNA may precede country names. However, since none of these now lives in Iberia, there is some chance the mutation occurred in Mexico or the SW USA. There are 11 of these in the Project. The two who have FGS results have virtually identical K2a haplotypes. There are 12 others on GenBank, all tested in the SW USA.

Bill Hurst

This thread: