From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Lipstick in 23andme sample-ruined?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:23:37 +1300

Cece,

I think what Ken is suggesting here is to check your mother's closest cousin
results at 23andme to see if they have 2 legs or 4.

On the crime/ CSI programmes on TV, they seem to have no trouble getting DNA
off cigarette butts at crime scenes. If lipstick destroyed DNA samples,
bank robbers would wear lipstick, but they don't seem to. So I think it
might be all right.

You could email 23andme and get their opinion pretty quickly I would think.

It was an interesting question, and it would be interesting to know a
serious answer. I occasionally get someone who comes up with zero Y-DNA
recovered from their sample, but I never really discover why. Next time I
will ask the Y-DNA donors if they were wearing lipstick.

John.