From: Al Aburto <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Multiple Mutations of SNPs
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:31:47 -0800

We're not there yet Ken. Maybe in some cases, but not in all cases!

In my own WTY there are 3 new SNPs (L229, L230, & L264) plus a couple
other interesting features in a couple of my STR regions. It is going to
take some effort and time (!) to figure out the meaning of these SNPs.
I'm going to need to test Aburto's and Agurto's far and wide I think and
others too of different surnames no doubt.

In addition in the Katz cluster of our J-L24 Project there is a new SNP
L254 with many that may also have that mutation. Working out the
details will be interesting!

In addition there is another new SNP L243 belonging to a Seibel cluster
in our J-L24 project. The haplotypes show a fairly wide diversity so I
am very curious about this new SNP (tested on one member only at this time).

In addition there another new SNP in the Ducas clade, L231, and so far
it is estimated to go back ~500 years perhaps.

In addition there is another new SNP in the J-L24 Project, L192.2 which
may be a defining SNP for the Msaken cluster of Tunisia.

We are chomping on the bit to test these new SNPs, but many have not
shown up yet in "advanced orders". I'm worried that FTDNA is dragging
it's feet regarding testing so many new SNPs as they are not
"interesting" --- of course as we get into the "bushy" part of the tree
the SNPs are less interesting to the larger group, but they are very
interesting to the clusters of people that have them! The clusters
represent smaller numbers of people, but at the same time there are many
more SNPs to be tested.

There is much work yet to do with SNPs and SNP discovery ...
Al
Y-DNA J-L24 Project
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/J-L24-Y-DNA/default.aspx

> On 2/25/2010 8:28 AM, Ken Nordtvedt wrote:
> But I have the gut impression that until we make the jump to the entire y
> tree picture --- our full collection of snps and our full branch line back
> to Adam --- these snps we find here and there in the bushy part of the tree
> will be increasingly boring --- or should I say lacking in informational
> content.
>
> But I do look forward to knowing my complete 40 or 50 forks back to Adam.

This thread: