From: "Lancaster-Boon" <>
Subject: [DNA] The British Isles DNA Project
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 07:55:02 +0100

Dear List

I have the pleasure of announcing that I have joined the admin team of the
British Isles DNA Project. How many people realize that this project has
about 4400 participants, and a large number of these are already categorized
into counties of origin back in the early 1800s or earlier?

I became aware of its existance and enormous potential while considering
starting a project with very similar aims, but focus on Northern England. I
realized that working together with the existing project made more sense.

The aim is to focus on getting participation from people who have pedigrees
back to the originally less mobile population before industrialization.
Let's call it the pre-industrial "native" population. As mentioned above
this is going well...

1. If you have such a pedigree (for your male line or mitochondrial line),
and are not already a member, please consider joining. Anyone who can trace
back to a county of origin in the early 1800s or further is especially
valuable for this project.

2. If you are a member, please make sure you have filled in your ancestral
information. Many people have not, and this is something we need to work on!
It is the one big thing participants need to do on their side for this
project to give its full potential.

CONSIDER. Anyone who has experience in studying a family tree in the recent
centuries of the British Isles will know that the population moved around
enormously already starting in the 1700s, and accelerating massively in the
1800s.

Academics can basically only study modern populations. They can try to
compensate for such massive movements by tricks like making sure their
participants grandparents lived in the same region, or studying the origins
of the surnames of participants, but for the British Isles neither is a good
enough solution: 3 generations is not far enough, and a large % of surnames
are not easily regionalized.

One thing about genetic genealogists is that they are genealogists right? So
they should have pedigrees. No academic study is likely to ever do as much
high quality testing and pedigree work as our community can do.

A lot of data already exists, and so a second aim is to try to promote
discussion and proper use of the data. As this is a work in progress, it
seems a good idea to try something new for me, a blog, exploring ideas about
what we can do with the data and what it already seems to be telling us. I
have set one up here: http://britishislesdna.blogspot.com/ . I also hope to
see discussion on the various forums around.

There is a first introductory post up on the blog, and more to come soon.
Keep an eye out.

The project main page is here: http://www.britishislesdna.com/

Cheers!
Andrew