From: Vince Tilroe <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] L21 and U106 Deep Clade Results
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:49:43 -0700

No, it's not surprising. It's not common, but it's been known to
happen. The first 37 markers have too many fast mutators which can
create illusionary inter-clade haplotype convergence, resulting in
false-positive matching. The 30 markers in Panel 4 have mainly slow
mutators that temper out this effect.

The modal haplotype for R-P312 and R-L21 is identical to the WAMH, and
only differs from the R-U106 modal haplotype on two markers: DYS390
(mode 24 for P312 & L21 and 23 for U106), and DYS492 (mode 12 for P312 &
L21 and 13 for U106). The modals for all other markers are identical in
both haplogroups. (Note that DYS492 is the second-last marker in Panel 4.)

So if DYS390=23 and DYS492=13, chances are that the haplotype is U106+,
and possibly L48+ as well; if DYS390=24 and DYS492=12, chances are that
the haplotype is P312+. But definitely not always.

It's also nearly impossible to tell a R-L21* haplotype apart form a
R-P312* haplotype without a deep-clade test, even at 67 markers.

Vince T.

This thread: