From: Connie <>
Subject: [DNA] Exhumation of Danish astronomer d.1601
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:12:24 -0800 (PST)

I thought I would post this just in case this exhumation might be of interest to anyone on this list.

Connie McKenzie

http://www.cphpost.dk/culture/culture/122-culture/48128-tycho-brahe-to-be-exhumed.html

Thursday, 04 February 2010 09:14 RC Culture

Body of Denmark’s most famous astronomer will be dug
up in Prague to determine true cause of death

The riddle of the Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe's death in 1601 may now have a
good chance of being solved.

Prague's cultural department has finally given researchers permission to open
the tomb of Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe, which lies in the city’s Tyn
Cathedral.

A group of Danish and Czech experts will therefore soon be able to carry out
detailed analyses of the astronomer’s bone, hair and clothing remains to find
the answer to a centuries-old mystery as to whether he was murdered.

I'm really glad that all the people involved in this project
can now see that our meetings, emails, letters and telephone calls have not
been in vain,’ archaeologist Jens Vellev, who will lead the Danish research
team, told Politiken newspaper.

Vellev’s day job is as associate professor in the University of Aarhus’
Department of Medieval and Renaissance Archaeology. He has been interested in
Tycho Brahe’s life and death for many years, and he said it was a long and
difficult process to get the approval.

Vellev expects to start analyses of the body in November.

This thread: