From: Doug McDonald <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Call to participants in ALL geographicand haplogroupprojects: fill in your ancestry
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 06:45:20 -0600

Diana Gale Matthiesen wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I totally agree that the usefulness of DNA test results is diminished, virtually
> to nothing, without an accompanying lineage, or at least the identity of the
> earliest patrilineal or matrilineal ancestor -- except, of course, for the test
> subject. If everyone else is supplying their lineage data, the value of that
> information becomes a one-way street for the person who doesn't. But I believe
> the need for lineage information applies to surname projects, as well, not just
> geographic or haplogroup projects.
>
> I run six DNA projects and, ultimately, I believe it's the project admin's
> responsibility to see that their members supply at least the identity of their
> earliest ancestor.

Well, if that is the project's goal.

I am the co-admin of the largest such project. We started by promising anonymity.
We do collect earliest ancestors, in the hope of making connections.

But we've actually never done so! NEVER! Sure we have people who know in advance
who their ancestor was ... and of course, its always one man, Somerled. These
usually pan out.

But our R1b folks, well, it just a mishmash! There are just too many of us.

Last fall at our annual get-together in San Antonio I had a talk with the Clan
genealogist about trying to do a totally new and better job. But this is a great
chore and nothing has happened.

Doug McDonald

This thread: