From: Raymond Wing <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Approval to enter Projects
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 06:01:12 -0800 (PST)

Andrew,

I believe there is a fundamental difference between the surname projects Diana is talking about and the British Isle Project you are now co-administering.

The difference is the fact (by and large) people are joining the surname project when they are first tested, whereas most people have already been tested (and likely already belong to a surname project) when they make a request to join the British Isles Project.

FT DNA allows surname project administrators the option to choose whether to accept a request to join their project initially (before they get tested). I do not believe regional (or haplogroup) projects have that option once the person has already been tested, and wants to join a regional and/or haplogroup project.