From: Margaret Jordan <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Approval to enter Projects
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:14:40 +0000

Hi Diana,

We use the "Request to Join" facility in the Ireland yDNA Project which
is a Geographic Project. The join requests come in two forms (i) when
people, are in FTDNA their request is listed on our GAP webpage as well
as FTDNA sending their request to us by email and (ii) when people are
planning to order a kit, we get an email from FTDNA and we have to
decide to agree or disagree to their request to order a kit through the
project.

This works quite well and in both cases we can get a certain amount of
genealogical information from the applicant. However, sometimes it is
not clear whether the person has done a mtDNA test (not relevant) or a
yDNA test (required) and we have to clarify that with them. Also, we may
not get enough information to help us decide if the person has an Irish
ancestry on their paternal line so the "Request to Join" system could be
improved on, to encourage the applicant to give us critical information.

In a large project, I think it is vital to filter people as they join or
you get people joining projects without any appropriate reason.
Sometimes, they don't understand and need help and direction.

Regards,
Margaret