From: Bud Rogers <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Call to participants in ALL geographic andhaplogroupprojects: fill in your ancestry
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 08:57:39 -0600

On Saturday 27 February 2010 06:19:02 Diana Gale Matthiesen wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I totally agree that the usefulness of DNA test results is diminished,
> virtually to nothing, without an accompanying lineage, or at least the
> identity of the earliest patrilineal or matrilineal ancestor -- except, of
> course, for the test subject. If everyone else is supplying their lineage
> data, the value of that information becomes a one-way street for the person
> who doesn't. But I believe the need for lineage information applies to
> surname projects, as well, not just geographic or haplogroup projects.

What about those of who simply do not know that much about our origins? My
paternal line is brickwalled at the 1830 census in eastern Tennessee. We
have a fairly detailed paper trail from that time forward. Before that we
have only family stories and speculation. That's what got me interested in
genetic genealogy in the first place, as a possible way to get around our
brick wall. I have the impression that my situation is fairly common.

Bud Rogers

This thread: