From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Approval to enter Projects
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:18:35 -0500

I agree that there is a fundamental difference in how surname projects and
regional projects work, and I shouldn't have lumped them together, especially as
I run both kinds of projects, so I know better.

I can't speak for haplogroup projects, but it is possible to require permission
to join a regional project. Being able to filter those who join my Danish Demes
regional project has been absolutely essential because I turn away at least half
of those who make a join request because they don't fit the project's central
criterion, which is that they have a *known* origin in Denmark, not just a
suspected one. Despite my emphasizing that criterion on both project web sites
and in several places, people with only a suspected Danish origin still ask to
join.

Diana

This thread: