From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: [DNA] anonymity (was call to...)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:40:59 -0500

Doug,

This has nothing to do with test subject anonymity, which is FTDNA policy, so I
respect it. Typically, in my projects, the test subject and his father are
privatized, with the grandfather and earlier ancestors public.

As an aside, does anyone realize how ridiculous anonymity is? Once a project
has identified several descendants of a founder (the immigrant ancestor),
everyone knows at least roughly what the haplotype is for all descendants of
this progenitor. If you have a history of discussing your descent from this
ancestor on message boards, mailing lists, and/or your web site, people know
what your haplotype is, within a few markers, even if you don't get tested, at
all. What is this big secret you're keeping?

The time to be secret about testing is before your first results return. No one
can be certain they don't have an NPE in their line, until they're tested. You
will probably want to know whether or not you have an NPE before you broadcast
the fact that you are being tested, because, if you do have an NPE, you may want
to limit who knows about it.

Before I publicized my mtDNA (HVR1+HVR2), I tested a first cousin, to be certain
we were a match. Before I publicized my mtDNA FGS, I had Ann Turner do a
medical analysis, to be certain I had nothing I wouldn't want revealed. Now
that I know I've nothing to hide, my results are public:
http://dgmweb.net/DNA/mtDNA-T-haplotree-DGM.shtml

And so are my father's (even before he passed away):
http://danishdemes.org/YDNA-results-HgR1b.shtml#MATTHIESEN

Just what scary thing is someone going to do with these results?

Diana

<snip>
> > I run six DNA projects and, ultimately, I believe it's the
> > project admin's responsibility to see that their members
> > supply at least the identity of their earliest ancestor.
>

> Well, if that is the project's goal.
>
> I am the co-admin of the largest such project. We started by
> promising anonymity. We do collect earliest ancestors, in
> the hope of making connections.
> <snip>
>
> Doug McDonald

This thread: