From: Raymond Wing <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] British Isles Project
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:26:22 -0800 (PST)

While it is true society was much less mobile before the Industrial Revolution, it is important to remember movement still occurred (and possibly at a greater rate than we would think).

My own (Wing/Wynge) line currently has a brick wall due to such movement. We know the family was at Banbury, Oxfordshire, England by 1576 when a son, Thomas Wyng, was christened there. (Other children were also christened at Banbury.) We also know (from the will of Matthew Wynge, the father) Thomas was the "second son", with the eldest son being Fulke.

The Wing/Wynge surname was not found at Banbury prior to the 1576 christening, so it is fairly clear Matthew moved his family to Banbury shortly after his son Fulke was born.

I raise this issue as I am a member of the British Isles project and I am recorded under Oxfordshire. While it is likely the Wing family lived in the vicinity of Oxfordshire prior to moving to Banbury, it would be a mistake (in my opinion) to use the Wing DNA as a "true" Oxfordshire DNA.

This thread: