Subject: Re: [DNA] Call to participants in ALL geographicandhaplogroupprojects: fill in your ancestry
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:02:02 +0000 (UTC)

I do see a value to including data from men with brick walls or limited information about the places of origin for their most distant known ancestors in some databases. One example would be members of small clades that are tied to specific geographic areas, but whose signatures would be hard to recognize if you cut your sample size down to those few with paper trails to specific counties. I think that others could come up with other examples of ways that including data from men lacking specific information about their origins in databases for men whose lines may originate from a particular geographical area would be beneficial.

Of course you wouldn't have to do that with the British Isles project, and you might not have the time or the support from other administrators needed to handle a project of the size that a very open British Isles project would be. It really would be nice to find a way to make such a project happen, or to at least have a couple of projects whose databases could be combined by researchers interested in putting the haplotype puzzle pieces from men with and without information about origins in specific British Isles counties together.

Kirsten Saxe