From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Approval to enter Projects
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:19:11 -0800

Raymond,

I administer the Shetland Islands Geographical Project, one of the first in
this category and with about 150 participants from a region of about 30,000
plus a large diaspora. I am also the "gatekeeper".

I make it abundantly clear in all of the literature on every relevant page
that the project is ONLY open to those who have genealogical evidence which
they can share with me showing that their Y line ancestor resided in
Shetland. Basically, if their ancestor does not appear in the comprehensive
Islands genealogical database at www.bayanne.info/Shetland then the person
is ineligible. No matter how clear cut the explanation, and how much
underlining and capital letters are used, I continue to get weekly and
sometime daily request to join from people who are ineligible (e.g.,
brickwalled in North America).

>From day one I have always believed that by maintaining the integrity of the
database (only those with proof of Shetland Y line ancestors can join and no
exceptions) means that what is found there will be useful toward exploring
the relationships between those of the same haplotype but different surname,
and those whose surname and haplotype suggests a Norwegian origin and those
whose surname and haplogroup point to a Scottish origin (almost all in
Shetland are one or the other) - and other questions of interest.

In the early days I would put out the call for someone of a certain surname
to be tested and my Islands coodinator (the person who knows everyone
presently residing there) would find a suitable candidate who I would fund
for 12 marker testing. Alas being a retired person I can no longer justify
these sorts of expenditures, but the DNA is there for future upgrades once
we find a benefactor. If Jack Nicholson is of Shetland descent :-) and keen
to learn more of his heritage, maybe we will be in a position to make
significant progress in my lifetime. A bigger problem is Admin burnout -
which began more than a year ago. The project will languish unless a young
and energetic Sheltie steps up to the plate to slowly take over from me - so
far this is just a dream.

David K. Faux.

> From: Raymond Wing <>
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Approval to enter Projects
> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 06:01:12 -0800 (PST)
>

> FT DNA allows surname project administrators the option to choose whether
> accept a request to join their project initially (before they get tested).
> do not believe regional (or haplogroup) projects have that option once the
> person has already been tested, and wants to join a regional and/or
> haplogroup project.

This thread: