From: "Lancaster-Boon" <>
Subject: [DNA] British Isles Project
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:58:35 +0100

You are certainly correct Raymond. Movement of people never stopped. I think
between 1200 and 1700 there was a relative stability and I think this is
more or less in the back of people's minds is that when they say they want
to know the "true" "native" Oxfordshire haplogroup population.

I think testing modern populations is intended to get this, looking at
surnames has also been used, and working with volunteer genealogists with
pedigrees is another. Because all are approximations (very much so), they
all will be more suitable for real use when we have other approximations to
compare to.

By the way, in your example you mention no records before 1576. Many types
of records only really became thorough during the 1500s, not only parish
registers, but also wills, land records, musters, taxations records, etc. So
it always hard to be sure that a family moved. I have a similar situation
with the Lancasters of Gisburn. Records for them start in 1522 (a tax record
and a land transaction) but then we really only have one decent document for
the general population in the preceding centuries, and it shows a Lancaster
family in Gargrave, neighbouring Gisburn. It is only luck that the other one
document exists for this region. Otherwise I would still be saying that the
Lancasters of Gisburn most likely arrived about 1500.

Best Regards
Andrew

---