From: "Lancaster-Boon" <>
Subject: [DNA] Call to participants in ALL geographicandhaplogroupprojects:fill in your ancestry
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:05:31 +0100

Hi Kirsten

Splitting up the data is one possibility I guess we have to constantly keep
in mind, but I understand that in the past this could not be sustained.
Maybe we can set up a control somehow to do this better and compartmentalize
the work somehow.

Actually it would be easy to do this if the database were not in itself so
big. Pasting 4400 individuals into a spreadsheet and then playing around
using sort and filter does not sound like a good idea. It gets mentioned to
me every now and then that big projects require a knowledge of SQL. Gulp.

Even then I think there are many practical challenges I hope FT DNA is
looking at. If you want to make your own big database then things like
furthest back ancestor, SNP tests, etc are not I think available in any
tabular form for admins? (CSV or otherwise.) It is quite often on the E-M35
project that people ask what the latest SNP results are for a new SNP for
example, but to answer such a questions means being able to sort out not
only positives but also negatives. But for many such jobs the only way to do
is to manually open each personal account and go through it.

Or are there tricks I have not learnt?

Best Regards
Andrew

----