From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] anonymity (was call to...)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:26:55 -0500

Which is why I *never* give my mother's real maiden name for security purposes.
I invented a phony name and use it, instead.

The banks/etc. are not checking on whether the name you give them is true. I
even tell them it's not her real name. What they want you to use is something
you cannot possibly forget. Mother's maiden name was always a very insecure
security word. It's much too easy to find out.

The next time you're asked for your mother's maiden name where you've already
used it, tell them you want to change it, and why. When I made the conversion,
there wasn't one case where the bank/etc. objected. I usually used the line,
"My hobby is genealogy, and my mother's maiden name is plastered all over the
internet." They immediately complied with the request for the change.

Diana

<snip>

This thread: