From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: [DNA] upload a GEDCOM (was Call to participants...)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:07:42 -0500

What I wish is that FTDNA would include the Kit Number of our matchees. Then we
could go to our matchee's surname project's results table and know which results
are his and who his earliest ancestors is, if not his entire patrilineal line.
This would be *so* helpful because a lot of matchees never respond to attempts
to contact them.

You bring up a really important issue, and that is the uploading of GEDCOMs.
I've done it for the tests I've sponsored, but almost none of my members do it,
and I think it's time we admins started pressuring our members to do it. That
is the vehicle FTDNA has given us to know the lineages of our matchees, yet we
aren't taking advantage of it. I intend to start pressing my members to do so,
and where they don't, I'm going to start creating and uploading them, myself.
The GEDCOMs don't have to include all the details, just the basics (name, birth
date and place, death date and place, and name of spouse) are sufficient. The
purpose is not to convey "the genealogy," but to identify the line.

Having the lineages in the FTDNA database is one way to have the project
lineages survive our demise and the disappearance of our personal web sites.
I've made the best arrangements I can for my web site to remain online, but you
really can't control what happens after you die. Do I really want the results
of all this labor and expense to disappear? Don't we, as project admins *and*
as project members, not have some responsibility to make certain it doesn't?

Upload that GEDCOM!!!

Diana

This thread: