Subject: Re: [DNA] Call to participants in ALLgeographicandhaplogroupprojects: fill in your ancestry
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 02:34:05 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Andrew

At least you know what SQL is. I don't!

Using haplogroup information would be one way to sort the data. It will help a little. Actually, it will help a lot for those who aren't in R1b. I'm not sure how much it will help out in R1b at this time, but it should be more of a help as more SNPs dividing R1b are found.

I'm not sure about the answers to some of the questions you have in your mind. FTDNA should be able to help with some of them, and you might find that some data miners out there will solve some of the problems of dealing with large data sets. I think some of them have very good computers. That R-L21 spreadsheet of Mike Walsh's is getting pretty large, and while my computer does not handle it all that well, Mike's computer apparently is doing just fine with it.

So I guess one trick would be to let others solve some of the problems. Some might do good work as data miners, and some might become co-administrators. With a project that large, you could use some help from people who are not as knowledgeable about the DNA aspects as you are just to help you with the mundane tasks. You might want to keep your eyes open for enthusiastic people, especially newbies, since most of them are not already administering projects. ;-)

Best Regards

Kirsten