From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Backbone tests
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 04:44:44 -0600

1) "R1b1b2" has many letters only because so much research has been devoted
to Western European yDNA. If the fairest measure of haplogroup depth is the
degree of differentiation among those tested, then R1b1b2 is actually much
shallower than J2, because a much larger percentage of FTDNA customers
belong to R1b1b2 than to J2--hence, telling a customer that he belongs to
R1b1b2 gives him less information (according to information theory) than
telling him he is J2.

2) If a "-" remains posted for 2 weeks without a backbone test order, the
project administrator should send a backbone test request to FTDNA's help
desk. The test should then get included in the next Wednesday night batch,
and the result should arrive within 6 weeks.

In recent years, I have never seen a backbone test take many months to yield
a result.

> From: [mailto:genealogy-dna-
> ] On Behalf Of Kamel AL GAZZAH
> If two particpants pay the same amount of money for 25 markers tets for
example,
> one will know that he is R1b1b2 and the other one will know othat he is
only J2, is
> that fair ?
>
> 2) FTDNA state that they do automatically a backbone test for all those
for which the
> haplogroup could not predicted, but this is not the case, we need each
time to
> remind them about teh backbone test, and for some particpants a - remains
> displayed in ten haplogroup field for many months.

This thread: