From: "Lancaster-Boon" <>
Subject: [DNA] Handling data in bigger projects. Was RED. Call toparticipants
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:47:21 +0100

Kirsten,

I agree. We will indeed be keeping an eye out for anyone who has ideas about
this aspect of the project. Just to give an example of one problem we face:
we have not even begun to try to work out how we would absorb data from
other testing companies.

Diana,

I think it would be very interesting to hear more ideas about how to handle
data. Certainly I have always used plain old fashioned spreadsheets whenever
I needed to go beyond test company supply tables (which is increasingly
important).

I think there are two reasons for considering going beyond spreadsheets:

1. Is sheer size of database when you look at a case like the British Isles
Project.

2. Is that with a spreadsheet, you can play with the data offline, extract
and it format and post sections of it on the web, but when a project has
more complex goals of allowing participants and others to play with the data
themselves you can not simply post the whole database on a webpage, so you
need some set up whereby a person can ask for certain data matching certain
criteria.

A really excellent example is the E-M35's database which Victor Villareal
set up: http://www.haplozone.net/e3b/project

I understand it to be SQL based.

Best Regards
Andrew

----
From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen"

SQL is a computer database query/maintenance language. I can think of no
reason why a DNA project admin would have to know how to use it.

----

With a project that large, you could use some help from people who are not
as knowledgeable about the DNA aspects as you are just to help you with the
mundane tasks. You might want to keep your eyes open for enthusiastic
people, especially newbies, since most of them are not already administering
projects. ;-)

This thread: