From: William Hurst <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Family Finder Projects
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 17:16:14 -0500

Hi tewilder and all,

> So far I have seen no discussion about anyone setting up an FTDNA Family
> Finder project. Is anyone considering this, or is the idea already a flop?

I did a post on the ISOGG list on this subject about a week ago. Since FTDNA mentions the test being most effective back to five generations, I was suggesting basing projects on ancestors back about that far. I also suggested using both names of an ancestral couple. In my opinion, if the ancestors are too far back, descendants from them will not have any segments in common and someone might get the impression that there is no relationship. Using very recent ancestors might be useful only if cousins are completely out of touch or if there was an adoption or other special circumstance. I also said at some point that these projects should NOT just use a surname. FTDNA should use some common sense or rules in approving the projects.

It's a little early to create projects. Wait until we start getting some results.

Bill Hurst

This thread: