From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] L21 and U106 Deep Clade Results
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 20:59:24 -0600

The differences at DYS390 and DYS460 are not really important, since they
are probably fairly recent. It is intereting that the likely ancestral
haplotypes, (the modals) of the two groups differ on only two markers. We
might suspect that there were two different progenitors who adopted the same
surname from the Y-STR results alone. It is not common to have two
apparently early mutations on moderately slow markers with just 37 markers
within the same surname.

The analysis of results is clearer when comparing living to ancestral rather
than living to living. The modal is a tentative ancestral for undocumented
lineages. I copied your results from ancestry to a spreadsheet, separated
the two groups and entered the modals on the line above each. I highlighted
each difference. I count mismatches, rather than the GD that FTDNA uses. A
GD greater than 1 is more likely due to one event in genealogical time
frames. It also counts a recLOH as one event.

All of the participants with 10,10 on DYS391 and Y-GATA-H4, except 58344,
seem to fit. He differs on 6 markers, when 3 is the usual limit for a near
match on 37 markers. He would need to test another branch to see if any of
the mutations are recent. He is a prime candidate for subclade testing.

The 11,11 group has 6 people with 4 - 5 mismatches to its modal. There are
also 2 who tested 25 markers with 3 mismatches. These are gray areas and
warrant further testing.

Bob Stafford