From: "Lancaster-Boon" <>
Subject: [DNA] Handling data in bigger projects.
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 22:20:08 +0100

Hi Diana

I do agree that we are probably going to have split the project and focus
it. A first step will be making it based on pedigrees discussed upon
admission. A second idea is to split up Y and Mt DNA.

However I humbly differ in my opinion about whether dividing into haplogroup
projects makes no difference to trying to determine the native frequencies.
To take an example E-M35 is a quite big project with a lot of British
ancestry participation. However they make up a tiny part of the overall
population according to most surveys. I would put this down to the fantastic
job Victor Villareal and others have done to make a very member-friendly
project.

I'd like to know, for example, how E-M35 frequencies vary between parts of
England and Ireland and Scotland. I can not do this with just the E-M35
data, and I can not do it by trying to rebuild a mega database putting
together different projects who took in people according to different rules
and philosophies.

Best Regards
Andrew

=======
From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Handling data in bigger projects.

Your sample is too crude to begin with to be worried about the effect of
different admins. The fact is most people are surname tested before they
join a
regional project, so the number of people joining a regional project is
already
determined by factors that have nothing to do with the regional project,
itself,
whether there is one large regional project to join or several
haplogroup-specific regional project to join.

This thread: