From: "Bart O'Toole" <>
Subject: [DNA] dbms v. spreadsheet
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 21:18:38 -0600

Diana,

here are my comments - it gets confusing replying to replies to replies

1. With respect to to your asking why a project administrator needs
dbms - my question is what are you looking to get out of the data in
your project? If you are working a Surname project, then a spreadsheet
will probably suffice. If you are doing a Haplotype/Haplogroup project,
a spreadsheet may not be the proper vehicle. And what are the intents
of the data usage? It goes back to what the project administrator is
looking for. I do not differentiate between Access or SQL - they are
both database as opposed to spreadsheets. It's the scale of the project
that determines the tool. And depending upon the size of the project, a
spreadsheet may be the appropriate tool.

2. With respect to Mike's spreadsheet - which is 'unbelievable' not
'believable' -> so much for spell checking. His spreadsheet is amazing,
my comments are that his product seems to be approaching the bounds of
what a spreadsheet can produce.

3. Excel vs. Access - it goes back to what you want to accomplish. I
used to program in Powerbuilder - a customized dbms program can do
amazing things. Spreadsheets can do many of those things, but not all.
Honestly, when I got into researching my particular DNA strain, I
started writing a Visual Basic Program. However, my research to this
point is more simple data tracking, not data manipulation, so I have
been using spreadsheets. If I decide to get more complex, I'm back to
programming.

---- My initial comment/philosophy stands - a project administrator does
not need to know data manipulation, but I do think that a project
administrator of a large project should have resources to provide that
service.

Bart