From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] dbms v. spreadsheet
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 04:49:01 -0500

Working with autosomal test results is not something a project admin would
normally be doing. In the future, maybe, but not so far.

This thread started because someone said a project admin would *have* to know
SQL or someone who does to run a project. I'm only disputing that one
statement. I've been running six DNA projects for six years, and I've never
felt the need for using a dbms to run my projects, and I cannot foresee needing
one.

Whether you need to use a spreadsheet or a dbms depends more on the nature of
what you're doing than on the amount of data you need to manipulate. If you
have a large amount of data to manipulate, and you don't need the calculating
power of a spreadsheet, the question would be why you would even attempt to use
a spreadsheet in the first place.

Diana