From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Naming Family Finder Projects
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 07:08:03 -0500

The problem with having regional or ethnic autosomal DNA (atDNA) projects is
trying to decide where you divide them up. You couldn't even make a project
suitable for me, one person, because I'm a composite of numerous national and
ethnic groups, not to mention several haplogroups, who haven't had a common
ancestor in thousands of years. If you look at just me and my first cousins,
who are certainly closely related, we're literally all over the map because my
parents' siblings married into seven different nationalities. What project(s)
would you put us in? European? What is the point of having a group that large?
Who could manage such a project?

You may be able to find ethnically "pure" individuals living in remote areas,
like New Guinea, but in a nation of immigrants like the U.S., we're going to be
related in an intricate *mesh* of interconnecting lines, not in discreet groups.
Except for a few ethnic groups who keep themselves socially very separate, you
aren't going to be able to pigeon hole most of us.

You hit the nail on the head when you said there already are geographic and
ethic projects based on Y-DNA and mtDNA testing. As you know, the reason that
testing is so effective is that the patrilineal and matrilineal lines are *not*
intermeshed with your other lines. The answer to determining your origins in
genealogical time is finding and testing patrilineal descendants of the males in
your pedigree and matrilineal descendants of the females in your pedigree,
however far back you deem it meaningful, which, in terms of your genetic
endowment, isn't very far. (At ten generations, you have 1024 ancestors, 512
male and 512 female. How meaningful is the contribution of any one of them to
who you are?)

I can think of only one logical kind of atDNA group to create, and that would be
a haplogroup. Studying the inheritance of a single SNP mutation would
definitely make sense as you could clearly define the boundaries of the group.
atDNA haplogroup projects based on single SNPs would be very little different
from Y-DNA haplogroup projects based on a single SNP (e.g., L21+), except that
atDNA haplogroups would be open to both males and females.

Obviously, having atDNA haplogroups would mean we would each join many such
groups, but if the study of autosomal SNPs is going to be manageable, we cannot
be lumping tens of thousands of people, much less hundreds of thousands of
people, into a handful of regional projects.

Beyond that, the Family Finder / Relative Finder is, IMO, the way to find your
cousins because, except for full siblings, we all have a different suite of
cousins, so as far as I'm concerned, there's no point in lumping me in a larger
group where I would not be closely related to the majority of people in it. I
know I'm "European," I don't need to be put in a group to confirm it.

Diana