From: Elizabeth Harris <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] dbms v. spreadsheet
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 07:42:18 -0500

On Mar 1, 2010, at 12:20 PM, Wayne Kauffman wrote:

> Working with SNP results from Relative Finder or Family Finder can
> drag Excel to its knees if you elect to do some manipulations on the
> 500K+rows. I have seen Excel utilize 8 cores at 100% on my i-720
> based Dell for 25+ minutes doing something I should have done in
> PERL or by querying a database.

I'm using FileMaker Pro for my 23andMe data and recommend it highly.
Searching and sorting is very easy, and it will accept a huge amount
of data - in my case all the SNP results from 7 different 23andMe
samples, plus the genotypes I've deduced from these for several other
people. For me, it's MUCH better than Excel for this type of work,
yet much more user-friendly than SQL. I would be happy to talk about
this further by private e-mail:

My understanding is that Microsoft Access is similar, but I haven't
had any personal experience with it.

--
Elizabeth Harris

Personal genealogy webpage: http://www.momslookups.com/generations/