From: mtDNA H Project <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Naming Family Finder Projects
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 06:55:32 -0600

Hi,

There is a very nice feature built into Family Finder results that
shows your matches' ancestral surnames. If both you and your match
have ancestral surnames listed then those you have in common are shown
in *bold*.

Bennett Greenspan --for those who do not know, Bennett is the founder
and CEO of Family Tree DNA and a pretty reputable source of
information about Family Tree DNA-- gave me a phone walk through of
the Family Finder tools. You have the choice of hand entering a
surname and location or of uploading a gedcom and having it pull the
information from there.

The IT department --for those who really want to know who I hang with
at Family Tree DNA, my IT contact here was Elliott Greenspan. Elliott
is the project manager for the Family Finder product.-- tells me that
the matching is done with a standard Soundex method.

Yes, I would say that it is much much nicer and more genealogist
friendly than 23andMe's Relative Finder match lists. I say that as a
frustrated 23andMe customer. Of course, FTDNA's Family Finder is all
still in Beta and needs input from those who have opted into Phase I
and Phase II of the launch. :-))

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Tim Janzen <> wrote:
<SNiP>
...I hope that FTDNA strongly promotes the concept of

--
Regards,
Rebekah

This thread: