From: Tim Wilder <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Naming Family Finder Projects
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 09:44:04 -0600

We could make a useful distinction between a Family Finder project as
defined by FTDNA, and a population project that uses the results of the
Family Finder test.

The Annabaptist and Mennonite projects using data from 23andMe has
developed a very useful database using data broadly similar to what the
Family Finder test will produce. When say useful, I mean that it is
useful for their research purposes, but also for family genealogy.

Until the 23andMe test came along I had no idea I might have any
relation to Mennonites. But I turns out that my father's results are
matching into both high and low German groups. Then by checking the
ancestral information provided by members of the project that my father
was matching and comparing to 23andMe's Relative Finder for further
information I was able to find that the matches came mainly from a
branch of the family that I had up till now been able to trace only in
general regional terms. Oddly enough, it was the hard-nosed Roman
Catholic branch that had the most Mennonite ancestry. I am sorry to say,
though, that a really key bit of information was the closest match which
came on the X chromosome, which is information we will be missing on
Family Finder. This was key information, as it meant that the X ancestry
had to come through my father's mother, and I knew that both her parents
were born in the 1850s in Alsace. The person with the X match has a
family name that is also in the recent ancestry of someone in the
project with a large match on another chromosome, and from the same
region, and there is a third segment on someone else in the project from
that region.

I would also like to see Family Finder projects in the other sense. For
example, there is the 1710 Palatine immigrant Johan Christian Haus, and
his two wives; one who died on the trip over and one he married after he
arrived in New York. I have traced some of the lines of descent and have
about 1300 of them recorded (with source information). I think that he
and other Palatines would make good projects. There are some mysteries
to solve, which may or may not be possible. Which children were those of
the first wife and born in Germany. Was the last assumed son, whose
birth is not documented, really part of this family? and so on.

On 3/2/2010 9:06 AM, wrote:
> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 05:52:46 -0600
> From: mtDNA H Project<>
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Naming Family Finder Projects
>
> Dear Tim,
>
> I think that you have mistaken what a Family Finder Project is.
>
> These Q&As from the Family Tree DNA FAQ may be helpful for you.:-)
>
> What is a Family Finder Project? faq id: 599
> A Family Finder Project is devoted to using DNA to trace and compare
> multiple descendents from a single ancestor or ancestral couple.
> Family Finder Projects are designed for comparisons between project
> members using autosomal DNA. Project administrators have several
> advanced tools at their disposal to compare their project members.
> http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers/17.aspx#599

This thread: