From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS464X and DYF399X
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:11:14 -0500

Hi Kamel,

> Hi All,
> I received my DYF399X? and DYS464X? from Thomas as follows:
> DYF399X??? 20t-22c-26t
> DYS464X??? 12g-13g-16g-17g
> I belong to J2a4h1 (L24+,L25+) haplogroup and wish to know :
> - if any data available for these two markers in J2 haplogroup.
> - How fast these markers are ?
> - How are these markers useful for grouping different clusters inside a haplogroup ?
> - Is DYS464 gggg common to all J2 people ? or to a more extended group ?
> - Is DYF399 tct common to all J2 people ?

Yes, I have an old spreadsheet with a number of J results for these
markers. I hope members of J who want to gain a deeper insight into
their cluster, and possibly divide it further, will try more of the
palindromic markers. Anyone in haplogroupJ who has palindromic marker
results and wants to make sure I have them on the spreadsheet, may alert
me via email, and I will try to make a version of the spreadsheet
available.

You can see results for the members of J2 who have been tested at
DNA-Fingerprint, the company Thomas had before joining FTDNA. The free,
public database there is called Ymatch, and you can find it here:
http://www.dna-fingerprint.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=ymatch
By all means, you should create an account there and enter your results too.

To select only J2 test results, enter J2 in the field for "yhgroup."
But not everyone has entered their haplogroup correctly. It might be a
better idea just to enter J in that field, and it makes it more
interesting to compare J1 with J2.

It is normal to have two t alleles and one c. Sometimes the c is on the
smallest of the alleles, instead of the middle one as in your case.
Unfortunately a number of people ordered this test as just DYS399 but
not DYS399X, so we don't know which are c and which are t alleles.

Another feature is that some people have a partial allele such as
20c-21t-21.1t, but you do not, and this may be something shared with
others in your subclade.

I have to run now, but later I'd like to discuss the palindromic markers
more with you.

Best,
Bonnie

This thread: