From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Danish "homeland" of Viking Era emigrants to EasternEngland and Normandy
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 09:09:30 -0800

Charlie,

Yes, I thought the same thing, but what little evidence we have (noted in my
manuscript on the Angles) would point the finger at the Saxons for engaging
in "ethnic cleansing". The Jutes provide the first "Anglo-Saxon" kings of
Kent though, and I expect that while R-U152 will be very spotty in the south
and particularly the southwest of England (so spotty that there is virtually
none to date), while there "should" be some in Kent (which is the case). If
it is found in the Isle of Wight this could be important in suggesting that
the Saxons only exterminated the elite of the Jutes settled there, but left
the "common people" be.

R-U152 (let alone L20) is found at a very low base rate in England (5% or so
of haplogroups there), and is relatively geographically circumscribed (north
and east). Good luck to anyone in trying to tease out the haplogroups there
as a result of the Angles and as a result of the later Viking settlements.
Basically, it would seem, same stock, slightly different timeframe. The
evidence is consistent with the historical and archaeological data
indicating a complete en masse movement of the Angles of the southern tier
of Jutland to England.

David K. Faux.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Charles Hollenbeck <
> wrote:

> David,
>
> Since the Germanic settlers (c. 449 A.D.) included Jutes, R-U152 may
> show an elevated presence on the Isle of Wight and in southeasternmost
> England - the areas that tradition says they settled in.
>
> Charlie

This thread: