From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] dbms v. spreadsheet
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:49:43 -0500

Like FileMaker Pro and SQL, Access is database management software (dbms), while
Excel is a spreadsheet. Database managers are designed to efficiently store,
search, and sort large amounts of data. The purpose of spreadsheets is
computation.

The two kinds of software may superficially appear the same because both can
present their data in the form of tables, but their purpose and function is
entirely different. Excel may not show its weaknesses as a dbms with small
datasets, but they become quite apparent with large ones, but that doesn't make
Excel a bad program, it's just not intended to be used as a dbms.

Diana

This thread: