From: mtDNA H Project <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Naming Family Finder Projects
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 19:19:25 -0600

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Tim Wilder <> wrote:

> The Annabaptist and Mennonite projects using data from 23andMe has
> developed a very useful database using data broadly similar to what the
> Family Finder test will produce. When say useful, I mean that it is
> useful for their research purposes, but also for family genealogy.

Yea. I have heard Ann Turner mention the research that is being done. It is
most interesting. :-)

> I would also like to see Family Finder projects in the other sense. For
> example, there is the 1710 Palatine immigrant Johan Christian Haus, and
> his two wives; one who died on the trip over and one he married after he
> arrived in New York. I have traced some of the lines of descent and have
> about 1300 of them recorded (with source information). I think that he
> and other Palatines would make good projects. There are some mysteries
> to solve, which may or may not be possible. Which children were those of
> the first wife and born in Germany. Was the last assumed son, whose
> birth is not documented, really part of this family? and so on.

I think that there will be much gain when we become accustomed to using a
more holistic approach to all aspects of genetic testing. This
is definitely more fun than _just_ Y-DNA.

--
Regards,
Rebekah

This thread: