From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Naming Family Finder Projects
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 23:56:49 -0800

Dear Diana,
Like you, I am also composite of numerous national and
ethnic groups. It would be appropriate for me (and you) to join quite a few
regional or countrywide projects if they form. I continue to believe that
over time that properly managed and organized regional projections (using
either FTDNA Family Finder data or 23andMe data) are going to be helpful to
people. Regional projects could be split based on geography if they got too
large or unwieldy. Family Finder projects (whether based on descendents
from a specific ancestor/couple or regional/ethic in origin) are only going
to be successful if there is sufficient volunteer help from interested and
knowledgeable genealogists to make them successful.
I think it is important that people catch a vision of what autosomal
testing can do for genealogical research. If relatively few people catch
that vision and few dedicate themselves to helping manage these projects
then the Family Finder data will simply be floating around and won't
necessarily be put to as productive of a use as it could be.
I think that the Mennonite group is leading the way on this topic
largely because we have a group of people who are already highly interested
in this topic and we have someone (specifically Wayne Kauffman) who has
sufficient database management skills that he is able to help us analyze the
data.
I think your idea of having autosomal haplogroup projects dedicated
to studying the inheritance of a single SNP mutation is certainly a
reasonable one, but it would be best if the SNP was a relatively recent one
(and thus less common one) that occurred within the past 300-500 years than
ones such as C282Y and H63D (the two SNPs that cause hemochromatosis) since
both SNPs are so common that projects dedicated to their study would involve
a large percentage of the total number of testees and thus projects devoted
to their study would be unmanageable.
Sincerely,
Tim Janzen